I always love the month of May. The flowers are blooming and the birds are chirping. The weather has finally warmed up. It is perfect for opening the windows to let in the fresh air. We can go outside to play again. Not to mention it is the month to celebrate moms!
In the spirit of celebrating mothers, I have decided that this month I am going to challenge myself to be a better mama. As with any area of our lives, I believe there is always room for improvement. And sometimes I need to recenter and focus my attention on how I can improve certain areas.
I want to be clear. I am not talking about someone else's idea of what a great mom should be. I am talking about having a private and honest discussion with yourself about where you feel you could improve. How do you feel you could be a better mom? I truly believe that most mamas are amazing mamas! Sometimes we just need a boost. A pick me up. A reminder of what our goals are for one of the most important roles we play.
Here is what I believe is important to let our best mama shine through, and what I hope to work on during this month's challenge:
- We have to take care of ourselves
- We have to nurture the relationship with our partner
- We have to dedicate time to building a relationship with our kiddos
- We have to teach our kiddos and exhibit the qualities and habits we want them to have
- We have let our kiddos know how much we care about them, and how special they truly are
- We have to spend real quality time with our kiddos
Life is all about growth, right? So why not challenge ourselves to grow in one of our most important roles?
This month's challenge: Be a Better Mom
- Make your family a special breakfast
- Leave special notes in your kiddos lunch
- List the 5 qualities you love most about yourself
- Be completely present. Only check your phone when it is absolutely necessary
- Spend some quality alone time with each of your kiddos
- Learn about your kids
- Let them tell you about their most favorite things (foods, colors, toys, games, etc)
- What do they want to be when they grow up
- Who is their best friend
- Learn anything you can about them
- Teach your kids how to cultivate the #1 on your list of 5 best qualities
- Have your family help cook dinner or clean up afterwards
- Make lists of your kiddo's best qualities and give it to them
- Let them know how proud you are to be their mama
- Teach your kids how to manage money
- Teach your kids how to cultivate the #2 on your list of 5 best qualities
- Have a family day at the park
- It's Mother's Day! Give yourself the day off!
- Dinner of positivity
- Prompt your kids to say something positive about their day
- Ask them what they learned today
- Ask them what they are grateful for today
- Teach your kids how to cultivate the #3 on your list of 5 best qualities
- Read a special bedtime story
- Get active together as a family
- Tell your kiddos what you love most about being a mom
- Teach your kids how to set goals, and why goal setting is important
- Do something special with your significant other
- Write encouraging/loving notes on the mirrors in your house with Expo marker
- Take a relaxing bath
- Teach your kids how to cultivate the #4 on your list of 5 best qualities
- Forgive yourself for your imperfections
- Arrange for a special family treat
- Date night with your special someone
- As a family, create a new tradition
- ex: my girls and I used to do breakfast for dinner on Friday nights while we watched a movie together
- Tell your kiddos what your hopes are for them
- Do something that makes you happy
- Teach your kids how to cultivate the #5 on your list of 5 best qualities
- Treat yourself to something you normally wouldn't
Make sure to join the MMJ community on Instagram and share how your challenge is going! I will be checking in each day to see how you are doing and to let you know I'm growing right along side of you!
Or join the MMJ monthly challenge group on Facebook to meet some like minded amazing mamas who are dedicated to their personal growth.
Also make sure to sign up for the MMJ newsletter and for exclusive access to the MMJ library! It's chock full of beautiful printables that are absolutely FREE. Including the Mermaid in a Mason Jar monthly challenge tracker and a printable specific to this month's challenge so you can know what your goal for the day is at a glance.